Free web marketing tips
We would be more than glad to work with you to make your web site found on the major search engines. Some of the things we recommend that you do before we being a marketing campagn may help you save quite a bit of time and money in the future with just a little preparation in the beginning. Here are some ideas on how you can get ready for an effective marketing campagn.
- Do not purchase a new domain unless you have to. Google has implimented an aging delay for all new domains that will cause them to not list your domain for as long as 9-12 months. This is not the final word though, for instance, they would not choose to not list a new political candatate's web site just because the domain is new so there are definitely exceptions to the rule. The main reason for this particular change in their algorhythm is to make it harder for people to cheat the system by having low content, spam sites that rank well because they are written to confound the search engines, not provide good content. By not listing them at all, Google avoids the issue altogether with the thought that someone is not going to risk getting their already established, long owned domain banned for spamming the search engines.
- On the subject of spam web sites, do not do this for yours. While it would seem the best idea to add massive keywords to your pages and write text that makes no sense to the reader but you think would make the search engine rank your site well....this simply doesn't work. Search engines are now smart enough to pick the "good" content and pass over the pages filled with content that was obviously written to confound the search results. So with this in mind, what content do you write. Well that brings up the most important part of tip #2, know your target audience and even more importantly, what language do they speak. This information is invaluable. Your site might be in English but when you put up a German version, you find your buinsess tripples. That would indicate that much of your target audience lives in Europe, Germany to be exact. The information you collect on your target audience is invaluable when choosing web design, keywords and key phrases as well as the copy you write for your site.
- Spend as much time as possible researching your keyword and keyphrase selections. The phrases you think your target market might be searching for could quite possibly be incorrect. Try not to shoot for general keywords such as "travel" or "vacation" because they are very difficult to achieve high rankings in and may be much too broad to get the kind of traffic you are looking for.
- Design your site to make it easy to find the information or product you are offering. If you organize your site into clear and concise areas where you provide the content in simple, navigatable ways, this will help your marketing as well. One of the main complaints on the internet is that people simply cannot find what they are looking for. Either they cannot find it in an internet search, and also when they actually get to a site that is supposed to have what they are looking for, they cannot find it and give up.
- As the ALT attributes on IMG tags are now a required attribute for html 4.01 validation, it is important to make sure that every image reference in your code has the alt tag designation added. With the alt tag added, you can now make sure that everyone of your alt tags contains text as descriptive as possible. Let the person viewing the image know what it is. Let the person clicking on an image that is linked to another page know what they can expect when they visit that page by adding a description to the alt tag of that image. This is a very important tip.
- Make sure you write good quality copy for your sites. It is important not to just write keyword heavy text, but to write text that is appealing to your readers. This is important not only to the fact that people will enjoy your site. The search engines will also be able to spider and idenitify what your site is really about. Most importantly, if you provide good content, other site owners will be more likely to link to your site. As an added tip, your copy must be text, not images containing text or flash elements with the copy in them. These examples will not increase the readability of your pages.